Process and Metrology Engineer / Material Scientist / Process Engineer
Process and Metrology Engineer
Client is seeking an experienced material scientist/ process engineer with expertise in process development of glass and ceramics to produce ultra-high precision systems. This person will join the Advanced Development Center. A Research and development team focused on proto-typing of next generation wafer/reticle clamping systems. In this role you will help to develop new wafer table prototypes and processes utilizing coating, patterning, cleaning, polishing and etching systems and processes. These new prototypes and associated processes will be used to extend / improve capability and to solve challenging engineering problems associated with achieving nanometer scale precision.
Without direct supervision you will prepare wafer table samples and prototypes for process development using a variety of process and metrology equipment. Troubleshooting and quick decision making are pre-requisites for this position. In this role you will :
- Set-up and operate process equipment like coating, lithography, cleaning, polishing and etching equipment for engineering experiments and process development.
- Solve any engineering challenges that we encounter related to chemical and material aspects of design and manufacturing process of optical and ceramic substrates to achieve the precision and life time performance at sub-nanometer scale
- Investigate, material and chemical issues in manufacturing process like bonding, gluing, coating and etching process
- Investigate material issues / challenges using appropriate material diagnostic tools like SEM , AFM , WLI etc
- Perform flatness, roughness and other metrology measurements using WLI, Interferometers and AFM.
- Prepare engineer documentation such as Element Performance Specifications, Element Design Specifications, Test Performance Specification; Test Analysis Reports and release the documents by following change control processes
- Write engineering procedure and train technicians to efficiently transfer the build/ alignment & test process to manufacturing.
- Effectively utilize various computer systems and applications to operate process equipment, collect and analyze data, use document control and logistics systems, prepare and give presentations
- Understanding and link the performance of the process effects to the performance of client’s systems in field
- Clearly communicate progress and status of ongoing technical activities to the team, project management and senior management
Minimum: BS with at least 2-4 year of industry experience in Material Sciences, Chemistry or other equivalent engineering disciplines
Preferred: BS with 5+ years of industry experience in Material Sciences, Chemistry or other equivalent engineering disciplines
- Experience working with various coating deposition equipment (e.g., Sputter, E-beam, ALD, PECVD etc.) preferred.
- Experience using etching equipment like Reactive Ion Etch, wet etch and acid etching
- Hands on patterning or lithography and cleaning experience
- Knowledge of material and mechanical properties of coatings, ceramic structure and glasses.
- Practical knowledge of MATLAB and/or LabVIEW for data collection and analysis to drive solutions.
- Ability to work in the clean room environment knowledge in material and material interaction (especially glass, ceramics, thin film materials, gases, etc); with understanding of the fundamentals of friction and wear processes of metallic, ceramic, and polymeric materials.
- General understanding of optics and ceramic manufacturing methods beneficial including a basic understanding of manufacturing process optimization
- Good understanding and experience in verification methods (white light interferometer, microscope, SEM, AFM, TOF-SIMS, XPS etc) a plus.
- Excellent analytical and experimental skills;
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills and a commitment to achieving results on time while under time constraints; High energy, high ownership, high level of dedication
- Be willing to jump in on new issues, get to the bottom of the causes and propose practical solutions
- Be able to break down complex problems with limited data to come to solutions – strong critical thinking capability
- Have demonstrated “team player” with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills
- Be able to interface with multidisciplinary groups and work effectively in a team and be willing to take on responsibility.
- Be able to quickly acquire technical knowledge from documentation and on-the-job training and be capable of thoroughly investigating technical issues (analytically and hands-on in a lab)
CONTEXT of the POSITION
Seeking a process engineer with expertise in manufacturing processes of glass and ceramics. This R&D center in Norwalk, Connecticut area is a multi-disciplinary group of engineers and scientists focused on developing learning loop solutions, proto-typing of next generation wafer/reticle clamping systems and industrialization of proto-types that meet the system performance requirements.